Damp Proofing Walls – Should You DIY Or Hire A Professional?

Many homes suffer from rising damp, and the first step is usually to consider a damp bridge or a damp-proof course (DPC). If these options have failed, you still need to consider damp proofing your walls. An inexpensive and efficient method is to install a new DPC using silicone liquid. The silicone is injected into the crevices and cracks along all the walls and the home. While it is possible to do this yourself, it will require hiring equipment, buying the liquid, and injecting it. However, it is best left to the professionals at Aquapol for a variety of reasons.

Hard To Do

Primarily, a professional should be involved because the job can be difficult to do correctly. If you have cavity walls or the dampness is affecting internal walls, the job may be even harder. Likewise, some of your brickwork may be concealed, but must still be treated appropriately. You won’t know if you’ve done the job thoroughly or if it will still present dampness. Professional installers have methods and techniques for determining inside walls and brickwork, so they’ll be able to handle this situation.


Likewise, a professional is going to provide a guarantee for their work. If for some reason, the dampness continues, they will come back and determine the problem. They may have to use a different method or reinject the liquid, but they will do so free of charge the second time round.

Cavity-Wall Insulation

If your cavity walls need to be insulated, you’ll have to apply to the local Building Regulations authority to get approval. The inspector can help you determine which materials are necessary, though the professional damp proofing contractor you hire can also help you figure out what is best. The inspector you choose may also help you find a company that can help and is approved by the Building Institute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *